Friday, September 17, 2010

Toronto Film Festival 2010: Day Ten - "Special Treatment," "Rabbit Hole," "22nd of May"




Special Treatment

Director: Jeanne Labrune
Stars: Isabelle Huppert
Country of Origin: France

Why I Chose this Film: The inimitable Isabelle Huppert---once of my favorite actresses of all time, second only to Sigourney Weaver. Without the Toronto Film Festival, I would never have had the opportunity to see in theaters L'amour Cache (2007), The Sea Wall (2008), and White Material (2009). I hope to see an Izzy Huppert film every year I attend! Also, I am familair with Labrune's previous film, Beware of My Love (1998) starring Nathalie Baye, a rather disturbing film about a somewhat toxic relationship.

The Rundown: Well, I loved it. Huppert plays Alice, a 40-ish high class hooker that's become depressed and eagerly wishes to find a way another line of work but is not quite sure how to succeed in her endeavor. She becomes involved with a psychoanalyst as a client and begins to navigate her options...but not in the typical way you'd think. The film is surprisingly subtle and Isabelle gives an excellent performance, making the film, in my eyes. Ms. Huppert is no stranger to playing a prostitute, both early in her career in Godard's Every Man For Himself (1980), Heaven's Gate (1980) and more recently in La Vie Promise (2002). An exceptional treat. 10/10

Rabbit Hole

Director: John Cameron Mitchell
Stars: Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart, Dianne Weist, Sandra Oh
Country of Origin: US

Why I Chose this Film: The combo of Mitchell and Kidman was irrestible in this adaptation of the celebrated stage play.

The Rundown: All three headliners give excellent performances in this meditation on grief and where you seek comfort in the process. Kidman and Eckhart lost their 4 year old son in a tragic car accident 8 months prior to the start of the film and we watch them basically try to pick up the pieces. It's always a treat to see Weist, here playing Kidman's pathetic mother. I'd be surprised if Kidman was overlooked in this year's Oscar race if the film is released in 2010. 9/10


22nd of May
Director: Koen Mortier
Stars: Sam Louwyck
Country of Origin: Belgium

Why I Chose this Film: I've read a lot about director Mortier's much hailed 2007 debut Ex Drummer and made a point to catch a last minute screening of this film.

The Rundown: 22nd of May centers around a bomb that goes off in a shopping mall. Afterwards, we follow Sam the security guard as he blames himself for not being able to have stopped this incident, and we watch him converse in his head with several victims of the incident. While this sounds compelling, I was failed to be moved by this somewhat tedious process. While Mortier finally manages to attain some level of pathos during the last 20 minutes, it wasn't soon enough for me to enjoy the flick. 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment