Monday, February 1, 2010

Top 35 Theatrical New Releases 2009


Perhaps a month later than most everyone else's "Best Of" lists for 2009 comes my gallant list of my top 35 theatrical screenings. The reason for this delay is basically because I was waiting with extreme anticipation for the release of Michael Haneke's latest masterpiece, The White Ribbon, which snagged the Palm D'Or at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival (and I just couldn't fit it in to my ambitious Toronto Film Festival schedule, which topped me off at 33 screenings). And I wasn't disappointed (it snagged the number 6 slot on my list). This year, my list was comprised of my favorite film screenings of films that met the following criteria: they were newer releases (accounting for some releases only touring the fest circuit) and I saw them in a theater setting (hence the separate list I will publish of 2009 favorites I viewed on DVD either because they didn't come to a theater in my area or receive a theatrical release in this country).

35. A Serious Man - US
Director: Joel & Ethan Coen

34. Fantastic Mr. Fox - US
Director: Wes Anderson

33. Everlasting Moments - Sweden
Director: Jan Troell

32. Lorna's Silence - Belgium
Director: Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne

31. 500 Days of Summer - US
Director: Marc Webb

30. District 9 - South Africa/New Zealand
Director: Neill Blomkamp

29. Don McKay - US
Director: Jake Goldberger

28. Where the Wild Things Are - US
Director: Spike Jonze

27. Skin - UK/South Africa
Director: Anthony Fabian

26. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans - US
Director: Werner Herzog

25. Treeless Mountain - South Korea
Director: So Yong Kim

24. White Material - France
Director: Claire Denis

23. The Chaser - South Korea
Director: Na Hong-jin

22. Rec 2 - Spain
Director: Jaume Balaguero & Paco Plaza

21. The Loved Ones - Australia
Director: Sean Byrne

20. Chloe - Canada
Director: Atom Egoyan

19. The Box - US
Director: Richard Kelly

18. Sin Nombre - Mexico
Director: Cary Fukunaga

17. Lemon Tree - Israel
Director: Eran Riklis

16. Antichrist - Denmark
Director: Lars Von Trier

15. The Messenger - US
Director: Oren Moverman

14. The Road - US
Director: John Hillcoat

13. The Disappearance of Alice Creed - UK
Director: J Blakeson

12. Just Another Love Story - Denmark
Director: Ole Bornedal

11. A Single Man - US
Director: Tom Ford

10. Inglourious Basterds - US
Director: Quentin Tarantino

09. Dogtooth - Greece
Director: Yorgos Lanthimos

08. Enter the Void - France
Director: Gaspar Noe

07. Drag Me to Hell - US
Director: Sam Raimi

06. The White Ribbon - Austria/Germany
Director: Michael Haneke

05. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire - US
Director: Lee Daniels

04. Thirst - South Korea
Director: Chan Park-wook

03. I Killed My Mother - Canada
Director: Xavier Dolan

02. My Son My Son What Have Ye Done - US
Director: Werner Herzog

01. Avatar - US
Director: James Cameron


No comments:

Post a Comment