Monday, July 13, 2009

Sunday, July 19, 2009 -- Jonathan Demme's "Beloved" (1998)







Please join me for July’s movie night screening of Jonathan Demme’s infamously received adaptation of Toni Morrison’s Beloved (1998). Starring Oprah Winfrey, Danny Glover, Thandie Newton (in her breakout performance), Kimberly Elise, and Lisa Gay Hamilton, I am proud to announce that I will be serving Patti LaBelle’s highly caloric Macaroni & Cheese as comfort food to assuage the trauma. Kleenex will be provided as well.

Oprah Winfrey made a commendable effort to get Morrison’s novel on the big screen, (in a long tradition of the tortuous efforts of females attempting to get compelling stories about women on the screen, i.e., Winona Ryder and Girl Interrupted, 1999) having purchased the rights to the novel in 1987. Oprah also went through a 24 hour simulation of the “slavery” experience, which included being blindfolded and left alone in the woods. Alas, those in charge did not supply us with this footage as a DVD extra. Eerily enough (perhaps more so after you see the film), Thandie Newton’s first name, which is of African origin, means “beloved.”

On a very personal note, I wish to inform you that this will be the last movie night in which Joseph, my boyfriend, will be able to attend. The film selection for this event is dedicated to him. He will be gone until November, as he will be beginning medical school. Please be sure to congratulate Joseph and be extra nice to me. Joseph should be back in Minneapolis for about a month in December, so I’ll hope to throw one more big movie night that month.

I am also happy to announce that Joseph and I recently became registered domestic partners, which, on paper, may seem ridiculously simple, but to me, succinctly states that I’ve found someone to share my life with. However, as a lover of words, I don’t believe I can find the right ones to describe how happy I am to be with Joseph and how much it means to me that we’re able to at least have some public recognition. So, without further ado, I invite you all to a 6:00 PM screening of Beloved, which, if we begin more or less on time, should end by about 9:00 PM.

1 comment: